What is Kidney Function Test?
Kidney tests include urine or blood tests for kidney function to evaluate the working conditions of your kidneys. These tests usually determine the glomerular filtration rate (GFR), which assesses the efficiency of your kidneys in clearing waste from your system.
Why Do You Need Blood Tests for Kidney Function?
Conditions such as diabetes or high blood pressure can impact the working of your kidneys. Your healthcare provider may recommend blood tests for kidney function if you have either of these conditions.
The healthcare provider may also suggest kidney function tests if you show symptoms of other kidney problems. Those symptoms include:
- Blood in your urine
- Painful urination
- Frequent urge to urinate
- Problems with starting to pee
Different Types of Kidney Function Blood Tests
You may need to undergo different blood tests for kidney function, such as:
- Blood urea nitrogen (BUN): It measures nitrogen (made from protein breakdown) in your blood.
- Estimated GFR (eGFR): It counts filtration rates based on your protein levels, gender, age, and size.
- Serum creatinine: It looks for the accumulation of creatinine, a byproduct resulting from the breakdown of muscle tissue.
Kidney Stone Diagnosis
When your doctor suspects stones in your kidneys, you may need a blood test for kidney stones. Usually, urine tests as well to confirm it. A blood test shows calcium or uric acid levels. In contrast, a 24-hour urine collection test reveals if you’re expelling too many minerals that lead to the stone formation or lacking substances that prevent stone formation.
At the same time, tests like imaging tests may show kidney stones in your urinary tract.
Kidney Function Test Results
Most kidney function blood test results tell whether your kidney is functioning properly. The function tests commonly look for two measurements:
- GFR: Less than 60 GFR may indicate kidney disease.
- Urine albumin-to-creatinine ratio (UACR): The UACR ratio of more than 30 milligrams per gram may indicate kidney disease.
You get your test results the same day or within a few days.
Kidney function tests evaluate the efficiency of your kidneys, which play a vital role in eliminating waste from your body.
Conditions like diabetes or high blood pressure can impact kidney function. These tests may also be conducted to detect or rule out an infection.
If you need a kidney test, visit us at Grace Laboratory and book an appointment.
Report – Same day guarantee
12 hours fasting is essential