Your healthcare provider may recommend an ANC profile blood test while pregnant. Early diagnosis of any health condition in the mother or baby that could impact the fetus’s development or the baby’s quality of life can be improved with the help of the ANC Profile Test.
But what exactly is this test all about, and what does it measure? This article explores all you need to know about the ANC profile test.
What is an ANC Profile Blood Test?
The Antenatal Care (ANC) profile test is a routine blood test that measures various components in the blood to assess your overall health during pregnancy. It is usually done during the first trimester of pregnancy to evaluate the mother’s and the developing baby’s health.
The Antenatal Care test measures crucial parameters like blood cell count, blood sugar levels, thyroid hormones, and other vital vitamins and minerals. In addition, the ANC test is also used to screen for certain infectious diseases such as Hepatitis B, HIV and syphilis and other hereditary diseases.
A brief overview of the ANC Profile Lab Test
Complete ANC Profile Blood Test List
The ANC profile test includes multiple tests to help assess any new or existing lifestyle disease, nutrient deficiency or contagious infections. Sometimes the ANC test may include urine tests as well.
Here is an exhaustive list of the ANC profile blood tests:
- Complete blood count (CBC)
- Blood grouping plus RH factor
- Urine routine examination test
- HIV 1 and 2 test
- Hepatitis B surface antigen test (HbsAg)
- Glucose – fasting, PP and random (Sugar)
- Rapid plasma reagin/ VDRL test for screening syphilis
- Hemoglobin electrophoresis (HPLC)
- Thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH test)
- Test for rubella infection
What is the purpose of the ANC profile test during pregnancy?
Antenatal tests can help identify threats to the developing baby and help in the following ways:
- They can inform and prepare parents for the birth of an affected infant
- They allow in-utero treatment or delivery at a specialized center for immediate post-birth care.
- They allow the termination of an affected fetus (abortion)
In conclusion, the ANC profile blood test plays an important role in a healthy pregnancy. It helps monitor your and your baby’s health during pregnancy.
It is recommended that you discuss the timing of the tests with your doctor and seek to comprehend the results so that you can make an informed decision about the best course of action for yourself and your baby.
If you are looking for an ANC profile lab test nearby, you can visit us at Grace Laboratory.